030819_UNDERSTANDING OUR SERVICE
THEME: Great Strength for Effective Service.
TOPIC: UNDERSTANDING OUR SERVICE
TEXT: Matt. 22:40-44, 2Timothy 4:17. 1Peter 2:3-5 (“Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ”)
MINISTERING: Bro Gbenga Akinwehinmi
- Asking for strength is beyond laying of hands, instead it is about pleading for strength to endure persecution and affliction in this present age. Paul was strengthened and the result of the strength he received as God stood by him, was that he would be able to carry out his assignment. His assignment was to preach the gospel of Christ to the Gentiles; (“Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion”).
- The greatness of God’s power is useless to a faithless man. We have been called as lively (living) stones for we are the materials to be used in building the Spiritual House. The Spiritual House is the house of Deliverance and Salvation of nations.
IMPLICATIONS OF WE BEING CALLED AS LIVELY STONES:
1. We have been called to stay forever, no going back. God invites men in different ways. There are some that are heavily burdened and they receive rest (Matt. 11:28) after being preached to. The word might come in a crusade or rally and they are saved; but after that, they still go back to their oppression. But we, as lively stones have been called to stay forever.
2. For us to be a material to be used in building the Spiritual House, we must have been cut to size and shaped at the “quarry” where there are different kinds of sounds made from hammering and iron-headed tools. We are to come ready and made to fit the agenda and plan for the building of the Spiritual House. 1Kings 6:7 (“And the house, when it was in building, was built of stone made ready before it was brought thither: so that there was neither hammer nor axe nor any tool of iron heard in the house, while it was in building.”)
3. We have been called as a living sacrifice. Sacrifice there means total submission to God and that our submission is responsive to God. That Submission also now has a living nature which is referred to as a sweet aroma unto God”. Romans 12:1
WHAT THEN ARE WE OFFERING AS LIVELY STONES?
We are to offer Spiritual Sacrifices unto God (1Peter 2:5). Now, the implications of we offering spiritual sacrifices unto God is that;
•• We are rendering our service to God who has called us as lively stones. He said that every sacrifice we make is unto God, for He is the one we have business with, for He called us (John 15:16). Our focus o earth is to please God.
•• Our sacrifice is a spiritual one (1Peter 2:5). This implies that, it must be done;
1. In the Spirit; and
2. By the (strength) Spirit.
Only those that are born of the Spirit can offer Spiritual Sacrifices. They are the lively stones.