Sub-Topic: Temptation and Trial
TEXT: James 1:1-25; 1 Peter 1:6-7
Memory Verse: James 1:12
God created man perfectly into the Garden of Eden where there was neither sin nor suffering, however a Being was sent to earth from heaven who is angry and seeks for the destruction of man; 1Peter 5:8, Revelation 12:7-12.
WHAT IS TEMPTATION AND WHAT IS TRIAL?
TEMPTATION can be described as a situation whereby man is being drawn, enticed and bait by his own desires or lust James 1:14. While
TRIAL is the testing of one’s faith; either by persecutions Hebrews 11:34-37 or tribulations; to determine how strong one’s faith is.
IS MAN BEING TEMPTED OR TRIED BY GOD?
Temptation: NO, men are being tempted by devil through the flesh. James 1:13-14, Luke 11:4
Trails: God allows believers to be tried to test faith in us and to build us up 1Corinthians 10:13, 1Peters 1:6-7
INSTACES OF TRIALS AND TEMPTATIONS
– Joseph Genesis 39:7-13;
– Jesus Matthew 4:1-10;
– Samson Judges 13, 16;
– David had both 1 Samuel 19, 2 Samuel 12:3-4.
HOW DO WE OVERCOME TEMPTATIONS AND TRIALS?
– Flee every appearance of evil 1Thess 5:22
– Relying on God for strength James 4:7, Phil 2:12-13
– Yielding to the Holy Spirit Gal. 5:16, 25
– Renewing the mind and mortifying the flesh Rom 12:2, Rom 8:10-13
– Word of God James 1:21
– Praying Luke 22:40, 46
SIGNIFICANCE OF OVERCOMING TRIALS AND TEMPTATION
– When we face trials, our patience is being worked out Romans 5:3.
– There is a reward for an overcomer of temptation and trial James 1:12
It is expedient that we rely on the Holy Spirit as we journey in the path of faith for sustenance and any that has the seed of God does not sin 1John 3:9.