TEXT: Heb. 12:14, Rom. 12:1
MEMORY VERSE: Eph. 1:4
” I will show myself holy……..Be holy, for I the lord your God am holy” (leviticus 10:3,19:2). This is a word from God himself and as a son of his word , it is our responsibilities to discover what God says about holiness. Under what circumstances God does first introduced this word? What does he say after that? How can we live holy and continue in this form, what will help us to treat God as holy and to be holy ourselves! I pray as we explore briefly this teaching, we will have God’s mind in Jesus name Amen.
MEANING OF HOLINESS
The word “Holiness” in Greek is “hagios” as is the same rooted word for saint and santified .. Holiness means “sacred, set apart from the profane (unholy) and being set apart for God”. An absence of fault or impurity. God expects us to live a holy life just as He is Holy(Lev 19:2) .
WHATS GOD’S HOLINESS?
1Sam2:2, Isa 6:3
Its absolute perfection. God is unlike any other (Hosea 11:9), and his holiness is the essence of that “otherness.” His very being is completely absent of even a trace of sin ( James 1:13;Heb 6:18).God’s holiness pervades his entire being and shapes all his attributes. His love is a holy love, his mercy is holy mercy, and even his anger and wrath are holy anger and holy wrath.
HOW TO LIVE OR DEMONSTRATED A HOLY LIFE
- Abstaining from the works of flesh Gal 5:19-20
- Studying and doing the Word of God Psalm 119:11
- Agape love towards men 1Jn4:7
- Guarding your hearts diligently Eph6:12-17
- Diligent and consistent prayer life 1Thess 5:17
- Yielding ones member to righteousness Rom 6:19
- Jesus Christ Jn 14:30
- Enoch Gen 5:24
- Job Job 1:1
BENEFITS OF BEING HOLY
- You will see God, i.e. dwell in His presence both now and the future Kingdom Heb 12:14
- Being free from every snare of the king of this world Jn14:30
- We will be a useful vessel to God Rom9:21
- We will always be a sweet savour to God Heb.12:14
- So as to be like him. Lev 19:2
Holiness is expected of us as a Child of God, as a nature of the true living God and we as his child needs to prototype this nature . 1 Thessalonians 4:7, 1 Pet.1:15-16.
Holiness is better experienced than taught. And so, we are taught daily by Him in our walk with Him because Rom 8:14 says “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.” And so in us being led, we are sons in His Nature. May our walk with Him be graced and fueled by Love for Him alone. Amen.