TOPIC: PREVAILING PRAYER 1
TEXT: LUCK 11:1-4, JOHN 15:1-8
MEMORY VERSE: PHIL. 4:6 (Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God).
HYMN (APP) 277: Come to the morning prayer, come, let us kneel and pray, prayer is the Christian pilgrim’s staff. To walk with God all day.
The word prayer is a universal word. It is not limited to Christianity. The Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Traditionalists and other religionists do offer prayers . but there are certain fundamentals which set Christian prayer apart from the others. Christian prayer is based on facts of scripture and on the understanding f God’s ways. Unchristian prayer on the other hand is rooted in superstition and fear. Its principles are essentially based on self-interest and the end goal is self-satisfaction rather than giving pleasure to God. (Rev. 4:11)
To the Christian, prayer is an art of communing with God. Correct Christian prayer places demand on God’s power to subdue to supply. Our lack or misunderstanding of the potentials and purposes of prayer places an automatic restriction on our ability to activate the power of prayer
MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT CHRISTIAN PRAYER
- Christian prayer is not religious ritual or mere custom of religious service. Matt. 6:5-6
- It is not setting time apart for repetition of lovely religious words and phrases. Matt. 6:7-8
- Christian prayer is neither means of gaining spiritual favour from God, or for wining God’s merit.
- Prayer involves constituency but true Christian prayer is far deeper than this. Matt. 6:5
- Praying requires time, but the efficacy of Christian prayer is not based on the length of time spent in the praying.
WHAT ACTUALLY IS CHRISTIAN PRAYER?
- It is a supernatural communication between God and those who truly belong to Him.
- Christian prayer is a spiritual activity, an issue of the heart rather than of the body. Eph. 6:18
- It is a means f calling for help from the Father. Ps. 60:11, 121:1-2
- Christian prayer is the spiritual incense of a life well-pleasing to God. Rev. 5:8,8:3-4
- Praying to every true Christian is just as breathing is to the human body. It is a lifestyle.
CONDITIONS FOR SECURING GOD’S RESPONSE
- Becoming a True Child of God: only genuine children of God can claim His promises to hear and answer prayer, To the sinner, repentance is the key to getting God’s response, not prayer, fasting, giving or serving. Matt. 7:11
- Asking in the name of Jesus: To ask in the name of Jesus is to ask on the BASIS of he merit of Jesus’ name, on the basis of proper relationship with that name, and on the authority of His name. John 14:12-14
- Asking in Faith: to ask in faith is to believe in God’s ability and willingness to do the things w are asking of Him. James 1:5
- Obeying God’s word: to receive answers to our prayers we must come to God as obedient children. Self-willed people cannot come to God and expect Him to grant their desire. John 15:7
- Avoiding Sin: The only people that can claim God’s promises to hear and answer prayers are people with clean hearts. Deliberate sinning and harboring un-confessed sins in our hearts as Christian closes the ears of God to our prayers. John 9:31
Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whether we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked Him